For the second time in a week U.S. troops have been attacked at an Afghanistan base. The Resolute Support Mission has released a statement confirming the attack stating that seven U.S. service members have been wounded and evacuated for treatment.

The attack occurred around 2 pm local time at Camp Shaheen in Northern Afghanistan. An Afghan commando opened fire on foreign troops allegedly with rocket-propelled grenades and M4 Carbines before an American shot the assailant dead with a pistol. So far seven U.S. troops, four foreign soldiers have been confirmed wounded and one Afghan soldier dead.

CAMP MIKE SPANN, Afghanistan, Afghan Col. Mohammed Salim, the 209th Afghan National Army Corps head facility engineer, and Rafael Villegas, an End User Monitor Team member deployed to Spann, finish inspecting barracks buildings at Camp Shaheen which were signed over to the 209th Corps June 27. The barracks will house the 1st Kandak, 3rd Brigade, 209th Corps.

Camp Shaheen is home to the Afghan army’s 209th Corps and has been subject to a brutal Taliban attack in April that killed over 130 Afghan soldiers.

Just last week an Afghan soldier opened fire on U.S. troops killing three and wounding one, U.S. Officials have stated that in Fiscal Year 2017 the number of Americans wounded in Afghanistan has reached 50.

Just this week President Donald Trump has delegated authority on troop numbers to Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.

Various news outlets have said the Pentagon is considering sending up to 5,000 additional troops to Afghanistan but a spokesman for the Secretary has said “Secretary Mattis has made no decisions on a troop increase for Afghanistan,”
There are currently 8,400 U.S. Troops stationed in Afghanistan.

This is breaking news, the story will be continued to update as we get more information in.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here